We all look for that special something that can help our homes “pop” in a special way: taking it from drab to interesting. Painting accent walls can help make this happen when it’s done right. You can take an all-white living room or all that neutral beige to new heights. However, making this happen isn’t quite as simple as slapping a coat of paint on one randomly chosen wall or ceiling.
1. Find the ‘natural focal point’: Before you start make sure you’ve selected the right statement-making accent wall. Figure out where the natural focal point in the room is so you can make it more dramatic by painting the wall in a different color.
2. Take accent wall inspiration from your room: from your inspiration piece, choose the color that stands out to you the most. Integrating how you’re painting your accent wall into the room’s color scheme will make it feel like one cohesive space, preventing the sometimes-jarring effect of accent walls.
3. Select a muted tone when painting accent walls: You don’t want to go too bold when painting these walls. Nowadays muted tones are more desirable.
4. Choose the right accent wall: Sometimes it’s a challenge picking a wall when there isn’t an obvious focus. Some suggestions: In an oblong room, the best wall to accentuate is the farthest short (in width) wall.
Generally, the perfect accent wall should also have no windows or doors and be no more than one story tall
5. Don’t get too matchy-matchy: Sure, you want your wall to work with your color scheme—but avoid matching too well
Need help in ideas and choosing walls/colors? Give RPD a call and we’ll assist you in the decision-making process.